Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Project: Hospital Door Hanger

In the South, when you have a baby, you had better have something cute to hang on your hospital door.
I take this as seriously as any soon-to-be Mississippi mom and scoured the internet for inspiration.


When I saw this on Etsy, I immediately thought a dual-purpose project was in order.
Hospital Door Hanger + Future Hair-Bow Hanger 
(the bows attach to the ribbons streaming down the dress skirt)



I LOVED IT. Time was limited though and I was unsure that the Etsy seller's production time was
worth the wait when I could potentially make my own. The hardest part would be getting the wooden piece cut for the bodice and deciding how to attach it.

Fortunately for me, my dad is bad-a** and all it took was a phone call. 


Next on the agenda was planning for and gathering supplies:


1.  Martha Stewart High Gloss Craft Paint in white and colors of choice
2. Sponge Stipplers for making perfectly round polka dots
3. Graphite paper for tracing the name in the font of choice
4. Free font download from FontsforPeas
5. Floral Stem Wire for securing the big bow
6. The EZ Bow Maker purchased at Michael's

(Not pictured)

7. Black paint pen for the name
8. Tulle in the color of choice
9.  Ribbons for the bow hanger in accent colors/pattern of choice
10. Hot glue gun
11. Wired ribbon in color of choice



I painted the background in the Martha Stewart High Gloss White and used two shades of purple paint for the polka dots.  Next, I printed my font out in a gigantic size and used the graphite paper to transfer a pencil outline on the wood to trace with the black paint pen. 


The tulle was attached in folded sections with the hot glue gun. I also used the hot glue to glue on
strips of ribbon and rolled tulle tightly to make the band and hot-glue it in place at the waist line. 


Trimmed off the bottom while my mother created the large bow on top using the EZ Bow Maker, floral wire, and wired ribbon


No comments:

Post a Comment