Saturday, December 6, 2014

Project by Another: My Grandmother's Kitchen Re-Do


My MawMaw's house was built in 1967... My dad (oldest) was 6 years old when they moved here. She only had 3 drawers in the entire kitchen, and the one to the left of the sink was not even functional.


These were the original 1967 kitchen cabinets (repainted).  In this kitchen, every Thanksgiving dinner of my life (nearly 30 years at this point) was cooked and served. She was long over-due for a renovation!

BEFORE:


My Dad drew a design, keeping the u-shape format, and built all new cabinets, ordered new countertop formica and voila!

AFTER:



 A slightly better view: The piece on the right blocking the camera view is a pantry that was added to the right of the refrigerator.


Now she has 9 functional drawers in this view alone, 13 total! The 9th drawer is a secret!

The stove was moved slightly,  and a vent-a-hood was also added with cabinets above.


The inside of the upper cabinets to left of stove, just to show some detail!


I helped MawMaw choose the new formica. Didn't it complement the wood well? 
You're welcome MawMaw!


The secret toe-kick drawer was my idea, too! This is the secret 9th drawer..  (Thanks Pinterest!)


This picture shows how the edge of the countertop is finished next to the stove. Just an extra detail from my Dad!


Another before picture to remind us of how the kitchen once looked.  Notice, that 3rd drawer to the right of the sink. The only one of two in the whole kitchen that worked.  No vent-a-hood, and no pantry for their food.... 


BAM!!!! 



The floor, appliances, and the window are really the only things that remained the same.
Erika gave her the new curtains she wanted.


I personally like that the cabinet hardware is perfectly straight in the new kitchen and not oblique as before:


THE PANTRY! Yes! Yes! Yes!



How about that upper corner cabinet where the angle is. Great design, Dad! 


Pretty Pretty!



We have one happy MawMaw! I'm so proud of my Dad for giving this to her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment