Friday, June 22, 2012

Project: Kitchen - Bay Window Area

When we first viewed this house before buying, I loved it because I thought the bay window would be a perfect spot for a window seat


So I said, SOLD! And we moved in. Okay, it didn't happen quite like that but close enough...


The items we brought with us were our (L to R) garage sale table and chairs and that odd drawer + shelf piece that I used in our apartment as a poor girl's china cabinet. I actually imagine that this piece's intended use is for a little boy's t-ball trophies, but for now it does a good job of hiding the side of our refrigerator and housing my cookbooks and Duncan's treats.

My first official purchase for this area was a rectangular table with no chairs. I knew if I was going to have a window seat built I no longer needed the circular garage sale find.


I stressed out for a little bit about finding chairs to go along with the new table, but they eventually came. But first, the window seat arrived. My dad used his talents in carpentry and produced exactly what I wanted without any drawn plan except the one in his brain. I love it!




He built two sections for storage and placed outlets on the front for laptop use. The cushion and lids would come another weekend. In the meantime, I was finally able to find some chairs that were sturdy and comfortable.

 I knew I was going to have to re-do them. Especially because the cushions were stained


Not too long after I had found the chairs, I chose a very neutral Premier Prints fabric for the window seat. My Dad had gotten some dense 3" foam cut from La-Z-Boy (where he works) and created a pattern for a zippered slipcover to fit it. My grandmother (his mom) is the one who sewed it. They make a great team.



I used the leftover fabric to recover my chair seats and painted them with Annie Sloan chalk paint "Napoleonic Blue"  and somewhere along the way, we also got new flooring installed.


To match my blue paint, I chose some blue patterned fabrics from Premier Prints for pillow coverings


And now, here we are.... anticipating some roman shades to complete the look!


Can you picture it?



I started with two fabric options, narrowed it down to the one on the left... and then found out it was discontinued! Sad!!


It would have looked SO good, too....


Fortunately, I was able to find a new fabric that is very similar in color and texture:



No comments:

Post a Comment