Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Special Class Bridal Shower

My Occupational Therapy class really takes care of our classmates when they get engaged to be married.
Fun fact: I was the first classmate to get married after school started and my 3 best friends really set the bar high with a tacky Christmas shower.

So, when I got the opportunity to host one of the very last bridal showers before graduation for one of the girls who threw mine, I knew I had to get creative!


She is getting married in May and loves the color purple and garden inspirations
so I went with that for my basis.
The menu included:
Assorted Fruit
Egg Salad Sandwiches
& Sliced Turkey Sandwiches
We also had Cream Cheese Rotel Dip and two veggie trays.



I wrapped plastic silverware in large dinner napkins and small personalized lunch napkins.


I also ventured out on a cake-decorating limb (no photo because it's too embarrassing!) but it tasted divine.

The recipe for the Buttercream Frosting
1 bag powder sugar (two pounds or about eight cups)
1 stick Crisco
2 sticks Butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
Cream Crisco, butter, and vanilla in mixer for 2-4 minutes. Add in powder sugar, one cup at a time, while slowly adding in milk. Use more milk for a creamy consistency, use less milk for a stiff consistency.

Admittedly, it was a little wet but it didn't melt. I think the recipe still needs some tweaking!


As guests arrived, they sampled my White Zinfandel-Cranberry Juice concoction and 
some non-alcoholic Raspberry Lemonade served in a double Beverage Dispenser. I dont have a picture but it looked somewhat like this except double!


Also I did a photo with each guest, so that the Bride-to-Be could send a sweet photo memory with her thank you note for gifts.

Our sweet friend Anna (left) made the bride-to-be (right) the cute badge she's wearing.
Anna is one of the craftiest people I know!

The favors for the party were hand-made herbal sachets created by each guest

For this craft, I provided 
small letter stamps (from Michael's craft store)
ink pads
and a variety of herbs



Some of the herbs I included for options in the sachet were:
Calamus Root
Lemon Verbena
Lemon Peel
Calendula
Rosemary
Peppermint
Speamint
Cloves
Thyme
Lavender
Rose Petals
Chamomile

A large dry-erase board was posted on easel with combinations and 
pairings of herbs that would work well in a sachet for clothing drawers.

I had no prior experience with this project, but it worked out great! A lot of my education about what to put in a sachet came from  this website



No comments:

Post a Comment